Although most herniated discs are the result of “gradual, aging-related wear and tear called disk degeneration,” a traumatic event such as a car accident can also cause an individual to suffer a herniated disc. When a person suffers this type of injury, it means they are experiencing “a problem with one of the rubbery cushions (discs) between the individual bones(vertebrae) that stack up to make your spine,” says the Mayo Clinic.
Some common symptoms of a herniated disc include:
- Arm or leg pain.The Mayo Clinic says that if your herniated disc is located in the lower part of your back, you might feel strong pain in your “buttocks, thigh, and calf.” You may even experience some pain in your foot as well. Those who suffer a herniated disk located in their neck often experience pain in their shoulder or arm.
- Numbness and tingling. Individuals who have a herniated disc may find that the area of the body with the affected nerves goes numb or tingles.
- Weakness. Given that a herniated disc affects certain nerves, that in return, can cause a victim to experience weakness in their muscles.
Although some individuals can get by without undergoing any type of treatment for their herniated disc, others may not be able to withstand the pain associated with the injury. Some common forms of treatment that are often provided for herniated discs include:
- Medication. Certain types of medication may be prescribed including muscle relaxers, narcotics, or over-the-counter medicines to help suppress the pain.
- Therapy. In the event a victim’s pain fails to subside, they may be referred to a physical therapist.
- Surgery. Although it isn’t very common, surgery is an option for those who suffer a herniated disc and aren’t seeing any improvement in their condition which leaves them suffering from chronic pain.
[Source: Mayo Clinic].
Recovering Compensation for Your Herniated Disc
Anytime a car crash victim suffers an injury, they are either entitled to recover compensation from their own insurance company if they have coverage for this or the other driver’s insurer if they were at fault for causing the wreck. In the event either insurer isn’t able to provide a victim with the compensation they not only need but also deserve, the victim might consider filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Why You Should Consider Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer in Shreveport, LA After Engaging in a Car Crash?
Although insurance companies are expected to provide claimants with the proper compensation for their injuries and other damages sustained, not always will they be fair with what they offer. In fact, many car accident victims often find that their insurer doesn’t process their claim in a timely manner nor do they provide them with the maximum amount of compensation their car wreck entitles them to. Aside from the issues you may face with the insurance companies involved, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit in an effort to recover more from the negligent driver who hit you.
Given the obstacles you will likely encounter, it is best that you are represented by an experienced attorney who handles car accident cases on a regular basis. The Shreveport, LA car wreck lawyers at Campbell, House & Company will not only help you understand your rights as a victim and how much your injury is worth, but they are known to go out of their way to obtain a favorable outcome for the clients they are hired to represent.
If you would like to schedule an initial consultation with an attorney at Campbell, House & Company, contact them today at 318-855-0285.
Campbell, House & Company, Attorneys at Law is located at:
333 Texas Street, Ste 1300
Shreveport, LA 71101