Anyone who loses a loved one in a car accident should know the damages they can claim to help compensate them for their loss. Many drivers are aware that they can make a claim when they are injured in an accident themselves. However, most people are unaware that they can also make a claim if they lose a loved one during a collision, and the collision was the fault of the other driver.

In Minnesota, if the loss of life occurs due to the negligence of another driver, then the other driver can be held to account, whether their actions were intentional or unintentional. One of the most common cases in which making a claim is valid is when one driver was intoxicated, or they were distracted by their phone and a collision occurs resulting in the wrongful loss of life of one of the drivers or passengers. In such a case, a person is eligible to claim damages for the harm they suffered and to hold the other driver responsible for their negligent behavior.

Since the one who was directly harmed is no longer able to make a claim for themselves, their closest relatives can make a claim.

Individuals who can claim damages include:

  • The spouse of the deceased
  • The children of the deceased
  • The parents of the deceased
  • The grandparents of the deceased
  • The siblings of the deceased

Any of the abovementioned individuals are generally entitled to litigate against the guilty party for a variety of damages including funeral and burial expenses, medical expenses preceding the loss of life, loss of income earned by the deceased, loss of companionship and guidance, and mental anguish as well.

How much can a person claim after losing a loved one in a car accident in Minnesota?

The more a person suffered due to the loss of their family member, the more they are entitled to claim. A person should make sure they act fast, so they do not exceed the mandated statute of limitations and so their claim is still considered valid in court.  It is never easy to deal with the loss of a loved one caused by a car accident and Individuals who find themselves in such a situation should reach out to a car accident lawyer as soon a possible to discuss the possibility of litigating against the negligent driver.

Reach out to a car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Martin Montilino as soon as possible to learn more about making a legal claim for damages.

Reach us at:

3109 Hennepin Avenue South

Minneapolis, MN 55408

(612) 236-1320

[email protected]

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *