When rushing on the highway, trying to get to work, or make it on time for a meeting, the last thing anyone wants is to get into a car accident. However, this is a common occurrence and auto collisions happen all the time on the road, especially when drivers act negligently and fail to follow proper traffic rules. Unfortunately, no matter how important a person’s meeting was or how urgent their reason for rushing, they may still be partially at fault for the accident if it took place because they were speeding or because they did not follow certain traffic laws.

Once the accident occurs, a person will have to deal with the resulting damages. The damages that can result from a car accident include both economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic losses are anything that a person can easily quantify, and it entails factors such as a person’s medical bills, lost wages, property damages, and other tangible losses. To prove these damages a person simply has to collect their receipts, bills, and employment letters.

The drivers may also have to deal with non-economic damages. These losses are not so easily measured and calculated, they include all intangible factors such as the pain and suffering experienced or if a death occurred, the loss of companionship suffered.

Idaho follows modified comparative negligence

The good news is that even if a person broke some traffic rules, the accident may not be entirely their fault. If the other driver was distracted, using their phone, or if they also violated traffic rules then they can be held responsible for the damages as well.

Idaho follows a modified comparative fault system when determining liability after a collision. This means that a person can still recover damages even if the collision was partially their fault. However, their settlement will be limited and reduced based on how much of the accident is deemed to be their fault. The fault is calculated by percentage and is decided by the court and insurance adjusters.

Anyone who gets into a car accident should reach out to a car accident lawyer to get professional assistance with the legal process and to make sure they are not taken advantage of. A person generally has two years to file a personal injury claim after a collision, and three years to file a property damage claim. If they do not act within this timeframe their claim will not be taken seriously and can easily be refuted in court.

Get in touch with a car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Johnson and Lundgreen today to learn more about car accident claims.

Reach them at:

2541 E Gala St, Ste. 210

Meridian, ID 83642


7610 Southside Blvd

Nampa, ID 83686

Phone:(208) 466-4292


250 S. 5th St., Suite 300

Boise, ID 83702

Phone:(208) 376-5256

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *