Anyone can suffer whiplash as a result of a car accident in Daytona Beach, even individuals who are involved in minor fender benders. Whiplash is a common injury suffered in a motor vehicle accident and is often caused as a result of the neck being jolted forward and backward. Although anyone is at risk of suffering whiplash if they engage in an accident, there are some individuals who may be more at risk of suffering this particular type of injury.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, the following individuals are more prone to suffering whiplash after a collision:
- Those who are rear-ended. When a driver’s vehicle is hit from behind, their vehicle and their neck will be forced forward.
- Being a woman.
- Being younger.
- Having a history of neck pain or muscle tightness.
- Those who are hit when their vehicle is stopped. When a vehicle is stopped, it means it is at a “resting” position. When a vehicle goes from resting position to being forced in motion, the quick movement is likely to cause a person’s head to thrust forward.
- Those who are not at fault for causing a collision. Drivers who engage in careless or reckless behavior are likely to have a few seconds before a collision to try and avoid it. Take a driver who glanced down at their cellphone. Chances are, he/she likely picked their head up moments before they collided into another vehicle but didn’t have time to avoid the crash. This means they may have a second or two to brace themselves for impact, unlike someone who is unaware of what is about to happen.
Signs and Symptoms of Whiplash
After an individual has been involved in an accident in Daytona Beach, FL, it is always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional. It is also important for an individual to pay close attention to how their body responds to the crash as whiplash won’t always show up on X-rays or computed tomography (CT) scans. Therefore, if an individual doesn’t feel pain right away, they should still look out for the following signs and symptoms that are closely related to a whiplash injury:
- Muscle spasms
- Decreased range of motion
- Stiff neck
- Memory disturbances
Accident victims should also be aware that not all injury symptoms show up right after a wreck, especially whiplash. Sometimes, a victim may begin to experience one or more of the symptoms listed above a few days after the wreck.
Contacting a Daytona Beach, FL Car Accident Lawyer After an Accident
Whether an individual was involved in a minor or serious accident in Daytona Beach, FL, they should contact Pappas and Russell, P.A. to discuss their incident with a skilled lawyer. The reality is, most accident victims aren’t aware of what their legal rights are or how much they may be entitled to recover for the injuries and losses they suffered. Therefore, to ensure an accident victim is properly compensated for their injuries and isn’t taken advantage of by the insurance company, they should consider speaking with a Daytona Beach, FL car accident attorney directly after a crash.
Pappas and Russell, P.A. is located at:
213 Silver Beach Avenue
Daytona Beach, FL 32118