Reporting Your Auto Collision
Based on the information provided by dmv.org, there are a few things that should be done or should have been done following the auto accident explained below:
- If any injuries, deaths or property damage that amounted to $1,000 or more to one person’s property or $2,000 per accident, you need to contact your local police. This is something that should have been done immediately after engaging in the accident given you were in the condition to do so. A police report can become rather valuable, especially when a lawsuit arises as it is going to contain pertinent information that can help determine who was at-fault for causing the crash.
- You are also going to want to contact your insurer and notify them of the car accident. They may ask for some details right then and there and ask you to submit certain documentation and/or forms.
- Be sure you exchange all the necessary information with the drivers involved. If you fail to take this step, you could risk not having the necessary information you need when it comes time to file your claim. This is something that should have been done on the scene of the accident. If you weren’t able to collect the name, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance company information of the involved motorists as you were injured, you are going to want to do so as soon as possible. The local police department who arrived on scene may be able to assist you with this.
- Collect witness information. This too can be rather valuable to your case. If someone saw the auto crash occur first-hand, their input can help you if you believe the other driver was at fault.
- Take pictures. This can be difficult for someone who sustained severe wounds, however, if you can get your hands on some of the photos that may have been taken, do so immediately.
Contact USAttorneys Today
Whether you have legal questions, are seeking advice or guidance, or are ready to hire a trustworthy and reliable car accident lawyer in the state of South Dakota, USAttorneys is able to help you with that free of charge. Our site features some of the best attorneys in the field and we have agents readily available to help get you connected with one of them.
Give us a call at your earliest convenience to ensure you receive the answers you desire and can be on your way to collecting the compensation you deserve.